While meal planning this week, I was looking for a side-dish that fit into the Hammer and Chisel meal plan (same as 21 Day Fix) and remembered an acorn squash recipe from the Fixate cookbook. Acorn squash is such an inexpensive side-dish and did you know it’s counted as a green container? I thought for the longest time that ALL squash was counted as a yellow container. So, needless to say I was pretty excited to ALSO add a glass of wine to tonight’s meal!
SERVES: 4 (1/2 half each)
Container Equivalents (per serving): 3 green, 1 tsp
-2 medium acorn squash, halved, seeded
-1/2 tsp sea salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-4 tsp unsalted, organic, grass-fed butter ( I omitted)
-4 tsp pure maple syrup
-1 tsp ground cinnamon
-1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Coat large baking sheet with spray. Place squash, cut side down, on baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until tender crisp.
- Turn cut side up. Season with salt and pepper. Dot each half with 1 tsp. butter; drizzle with 1 tsp. maple syrup. Sprinkle evenly with cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender.