How healthy do you feel?
Many people downplay the importance of attitude on their personal health. They are busy running to the doctor for this, that and the other thing. Spending hundreds, even thousands of dollars on medical tests, specialists, questionnaires, medicine etc. When all along the REAL question should be, “How healthy do you feel?”
Seriously, ask yourself this question right now! When you think about your health, do you feel doom and gloom, like this is as good as it gets? Do you wake up in the morning and dread looking in the mirror, dread trying to find something in your closet? Are you sick, sluggish, lethargic? Do you assume that you just CAN’T lose weight, CAN’T get healthy?
The reality is, if you think you can’t, you simply WON’T. Your attitude determines every success and failure, now and in the future. It can help you overcome the most chaotic moments in life, or drag you down. This attitude could have developed over time–maybe you’ve tried to lose weight, get healthy, etc. and failed or it could have spurred from a negative comment from someone, social media, society, etc. Either way, once it’s there, it’s there and it takes effort to go about changing.
So, how does one go about changing their attitude anyways?
Like anything worthwhile, it takes effort and change–CHANGE being the key word. You simply can’t go about life as you currently are. But it can be hard to just STOP negative thoughts from creeping in, so you have to replace them with positive ones. Here are some tips to help you turn that frown upside down. 🙂
- DAILY EXERCISE-Exercise releases endorphins (happy hormones)!
- CHECK YOUR THOUGHTS-When you wake up in the morning, what are your first thoughts? “Ugh, another work day” “The weather sucks” You CHOOSE your thoughts, and negative one’s set the tone for the entire day. Instead, start each morning with gratitude and positivity.
- WHAT ARE YOU GRATEFUL FOR-Write down 5 things you are grateful for each day. If you are the religious type, thank your God each day for all your blessings.
- TURN OFF THE NOISE-Social media, the news, etc. have a tendency to be negative. Turn it off! If the first thing you do in the morning is grab your phone and start scrolling Facebook (guilty.) that’s a problem. Instead start with a “good morning” and conversation with your loved ones. Skip the morning news, turn off the radio during your commute, etc.
- BREATHE-Spend 5-10 minutes of your day in silence, focusing on your breath. Quiet your mind, go to your “happy place” and just BE. STILL. You don’t need to be a meditation guru to do this. Let your to-do list, argument from yesterday, a negative comment you overheard, etc. go buh-bye. This time is for you.