- 1 medium acorn squash
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- ½ cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 13 ounce can full-fat coconut milk
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or chicken stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Toasted pepitas (or other seed), roasted chickpeas, additional coconut cream drizzle (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut squash in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Arrange squash halves, cut sides down, in a foil-lined shallow baking pan. Bake, uncovered, 40 minutes or until tender. Scoop flesh from squash; discard skin.
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat. Add carrot, onion, and ginger. Cook and stir for 3 to 4 minutes or until tender. Add squash flesh, coconut milk, water, and salt. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Use an immersion blender to puree the soup (or, transfer to a blender). Ladle into bowls and top with desired garnishes.