- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 cups (12 ounces) chopped cauliflower
- 1 cup vegetable stock or water
- 1–2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1–2 teaspoons sea salt
- ½ teaspoon soy sauce (gluten-free or coconut aminos, as needed)
- 6-8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- pasta of choice
- Heat the oil in a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and let it cook for 3-4 minutes, or until it is soft and translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the cauliflower and the vegetable stock or water to the pot, cover with a lid and let the cauliflower steam for 5 minutes, or until it is soft.
- While cauliflower cooks, saute mushrooms until lightly browned. Set aside.
- Transfer everything in the pot to a blender and blend on high until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients (starting with 1 tablespoon of nutritional yeast and 1 teaspoon of sea salt) and blend again. Taste and add more nutritional yeast and sea salt, if you’d like. If you are using the optional butter add it now and blend once more.
- Transfer cauliflower alfredo sauce back into the pan with mushrooms and stir until well combined and heated through.
- Serve over pasta of choice.