- 2 teaspoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 cup quinoa
- ⅓ cup golden raisins
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- ¼ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 28-ounce can of tomato sauce
- 1 large head cabbage
- Heat olive oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat.
- Add onion to oil and saute until edges begin to brown.
- Stir garlic and spices into onion. Cook, stirring frequently, until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
- Cook quinoa in a separate pot, according to package directions.
- Remove quinoa from heat and stir in chickpeas, golden raisins, the onion and garlic mix and cilantro. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Set aside to cool.
Assemble cabbage rolls:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- While the quinoa and sauce cook, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Remove core from cabbage and discard.
- Add cabbage to boiling water and cook for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove cabbage from water, then remove tender outer leaves. Set leaves aside and return cabbage to boiling water.
- Cook for a couple minutes, then remove cabbage from water and peel off more leaves.
- Repeat process until you have 12 large cabbage leaves. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Cover a 9×13-inch baking dish with a thin layer of tomato sauce.
- Trim any thick stems from leaves. (Do not cut leaves completely in half.)
- Place a leaf on a flat surface with the stem end facing you.
- Place 1/12 of the quinoa mixture in the center of a leaf.
- Fold stem end over filling, fold in sides, and then roll up leave completely.
- Place rolls, seam side down, in baking dish.
- Repeat process with remaining cabbage leaves; then pour remaining tomato sauce over cabbage rolls.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil and bake until hot, about 30 minutes.
- Serve cabbage rolls immediately. Enjoy!