Calling all bacon Cheeseburger fans! This recipe was a hit in our house and will definitely be in the rotation frequently. I am fortunate that my husband is an avid hunter because we have access to lean venison burger, which is what I used in this recipe. You can use beef of course, but I would select grassfed, organically raised meat-ALWAYS!
2 lbs ground venison (or beef)
2 large eggs
2 tbs dill pickle juice (secret ingredient)
4 tbs dill pickles finely chopped (or relish)
12 slices of uncooked bacon
3 green onions, chopped
8 Oz Cheese (2 thick slices)
salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2. Fry the onion until soft.
3. Combine all ingredients, except bacon, in a large bowl.
4. On a cutting board, create a lattice with the bacon, weaving 6 slices horizontally and 6 slices vertically. (See picture)
5. Take 1/2 the meat mixture and create a loaf on top of the bacon. LAZY WAY-just make a normal loaf then lay several pieces of bacon on top.
6. Take the slices of cheese and place on top of the meat, then put the other half of the meat mix on top of that.
7. Fold the bacon pieces around the loaf so it’s entirely covered.
8. Tricky part! Take a roasting pan or cookie sheet, lined with aluminum foil, and place on top of the loaf. Then flip it over so that the woven part of the bacon is on top.
9. Bake at 400 for about 50 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes or before cutting and serving.