Think of your favorite burger. Now, imagine taking that burger apart and throwing it on a bed of lettuce. You now have a “deconstructed” burger in a bowl! In this recipe, you can mix and match seasonings, toppings, cheeses, etc. to create your own individualized masterpiece.
For the Burgers
- 1 pound ground beef
- your favorite burger seasonings
- 1 teaspoon olive or coconut oil
For the Bowls (Individualize to your liking)
- 2 small heads romaine sliced, root discarded
- 1 ½ cups cherry or grape tomatoes halved
- ½ cup pickles plus more to taste
- 1 cup onion thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 8-10 slices bacon cooked ’til crisp and roughly crumbled
For the Special Sauce
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon soy aminos
- 2 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon dill pickle relish
- 2 teaspoons minced onion
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium bowl, mix together beef and seasonings. Heat oil in a large skillet, preferably cast iron, over medium heat, then add beef and brown, crumbling with a spatula or spoon.
- Meanwhile, prepare the toppings for the burger bowls.
- Make the special sauce: whisk together all special sauce ingredients.
- Assemble: start with a layer of lettuce in your serving bowls or plates, then spoon 1/4 of the ground beef mixture into the center. Arrange remaining items around the beef: tomatoes, pickles, onion, bacon, or whatever toppings you choose. Drizzle with plenty of special sauce and serve.