SLOW COOKER PORK CARNITAS
I made these for the first time the other day and they were so GOOD! I wasn’t sure what to think about the cinnamon but trust me, dont skip it.
I also tried a corn tortilla hack that I thought I would share. I hate when they crumble or get too tough. I brushed the carnitas juice on each side of the tortillas and baked on a cookie sheet at 350 for about 5 minutes then flipped for another 5. They were pliable, didn’t break and had a ton of flavor from the juice. This is the ONLY way I will enjoy them from now on.
* 5 lb bone-in Pork Shoulder excess fat chunks removed
* 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
* 2 teaspoons Cumin
* 1 teaspoon Oregano
* ¼ teaspoon Cinnamon
* 1 Tablespoon Salt
* 2 Bay Leaves
* 1 onion quartered
* 2 cups low-sodium Chicken Broth
* ½ cup Orange Juice
* ¼ cup Lime Juice
* 3 cloves Garlic minced
* Place the raw pork in the slow cooker. Stab the pork 8 or 9 times with a knife about ½ way through the meat.
* Rub the pork shoulder with the chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and salt. Place the bay leaves on top of the meat, and toss the onion into the crock pot.
* Stir the mixed garlic into one of the juices, and then pour all of the juice combined with the garlic, plus the chicken broth into the pot.
* Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or low for 8.
* After cooking, remove the bay leaves and the bone from the slow cooker pot and shred all of the remaining meat. This is a great point at which to let the meat cool and refrigerate or freeze it to have later.
* Immediately before serving the meat, place the shredded meat in a thin layer on a jelly roll pan or other broiler-safe pan with sides. Broil on High for 5 to 7 minutes, or until edges of the shredded meat start to brown and crisp.